Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano has provided an insight into Darwin Nunez’s blockbuster move to Liverpool.
The Uruguayan whizz-kid has joined the Reds in one of the most eye-catching Premier League transfers this summer.
Liverpool shelled out a staggering £85million, including add-ons, to get Benfica to sanction the deal and win the race for the 23-year-old’s signature.
Nunez was in the crosshairs of several elite European clubs, including Manchester United and Real Madrid, but will continue his career at Anfield.
Romano offered his findings on the striker’s switch to the Premier League, revealing what was really happening behind the scenes.
Let’s take a look at three key talking points from the Italians’ explanation.
#1 Man Utd & Madrid pulled out of negotiations
Following a busted deal for Paris Saint-Germain superstar Kylian Mbappe, Madrid turned their attention towards Nunez.
But despite Los Merengues’ genuine interest in the player, they had to pull the plug on the deal due to the Uruguayan’s passport issues.
Madrid’s decision to withdraw from the race for the highly-rated striker paved the way for Man United, who were Nunez’s long-term admirers.
However, the Red Devils were reluctant to go beyond £70m, add-ons included, to get the deal over the line, which caused Benfica to turn them down.
United were not ready to get engaged in a transfer tug-of-war with Liverpool and opted to drop their pursuit of the Penarol youth academy graduate.
#2 Ravishing scouting reports
Liverpool’s scouting team kept close tabs on Nunez’s development at Benfica long before the Reds decided to kickstart negotiations with the Portuguese outfit.
According to Romano, they raved about the player’s potential.
Nunez’s attitude, commitment in training sessions and on-field approach reminded Liverpool scouts of ex-Man United striker Edinson Cavani.
#3 Jurgen Klopp – mastermind behind the deal
And finally, Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp is absolutely ‘seduced’ by the player’s qualities.
Once the German manager found out that Sadio Mane was leaning towards a move to Bayern Munich, Nunez became his prime transfer target.
Klopp’s famous ‘gegenpress’ does not only pay dividends on the field, as witnessed by the way he managed to convince Benfica and Nunez in a matter of days.
After giving a ‘direct’ call to the player, Klopp instructed his recruitment team to accelerate talks with the Eagles, and everything was done in a single day.
Last but not least, Spanish lawyer Vicente Moyes played a crucial role in persuading Nunez’s previous representation to come to terms with the current one, which facilitated the deal.
Latest Liverpool News
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?
- Liverpool new signing Alexis Mac Allister gets red card on Anfield debut against Bournemouth
- Liverpool in July: Four pre-season fixtures as Klopp aims for a huge comeback next season
- Mo Salah on target to reach 200+ goals for Liverpool next season
- Salah could break Thierry Henry’s record by scoring one goal in Liverpool’s next two games
- Preview: Liverpool vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-up
- Liverpool in May: Can Klopp’s team get 15 points to lay down a marker for next season?
- Preview: Leeds United vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Three Players Liverpool Must Sign After Jude Bellingham Blow
- Liverpool in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures