Liverpool are going through an injury crisis at the back right now but a defensive signing in January seems quite unlikely.
According to Rory Smith, the Reds are planning to bring in a quality defender at the end of the season and he has hinted that Liverpool could move for the RB Leipzig star Ibrahima Konate.
The Reds have also been linked with Dayot Upamecano in recent weeks but it seems that they are keen on his teammate instead.
Konate has had his fair share of injury problems over the past year and it remains to be seen if he can recover fully and convince Liverpool that he is worth the investment in the summer.
In terms of quality, there is no doubt that the Frenchman is a top-class defender with massive potential. Furthermore, his aerial ability makes him an ideal fit for the Liverpool back four.
Jurgen Klopp prefers aerially dominant centre backs and Konate certainly fits the bill.
Liverpool must look to secure their place in the top four this season if they want to sign their key targets in the summer. Losing out on Champions League football will make it harder for them to attract talented young players like Konate.
The 21-year-old will want to join a club that can challenge for the top honours and working with Jurgen Klopp could help him improve just like it has helped Joe Gomez, Trent-Alexander Arnold and Andy Robertson.
Latest Liverpool News
- Gini Wijnaldum vows to reveal the reasons behind Liverpool exit after the Euros
- Liverpool players that will feature in Euro 2020
- Liverpool have reportedly submitted a bid for Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Southampton in talks to sign Takumi Minamino permanently
- John Barnes urges Liverpool to sign Ousmane Dembele instead of Jadon Sancho
- Liverpool prepared to cash in on Marko Grujic
- Trent Alexander-Arnold ruled out of the Euros with a thigh injury
- Adrian closing in on a new deal with Liverpool
- Liverpool Transfer News: Five Major Transfers To Expect This Summer
- Liverpool preparing for a massive clear-out this summer