The European Super League was officially announced on Sunday and Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has shared his thoughts on the breakaway tournament.
Prior to the game against Leeds United, the Liverpool manager revealed that he is not keen on the European Super League and he had nothing to do with Liverpool’s decision to sign up for the competition.
Apparently, Klopp only found out about the club’s involvement in the European Super League on Sunday and he was not consulted by the club hierarchy.
The manager also sent out a message to the angry Liverpool fans who are unhappy with the club’s participation in the European Super League.
Apparently, Liverpool fans are planning to remove the banners from the Kop ahead of the club’s weekend clash against Newcastle United and Klopp has urged the fans to leave the banners there because the players are not responsible for this situation and he would like to maintain the great relationship that has developed between the team and the fans over the last six years.
Klopp said to the Guardian: “I understand that they are angry, absolutely, my problem is that the banners are there for the team. I would leave them there. We still have a lot to go for. The last six years we created a great relationship with the supporters and I understand that we want to act and want to show anger but we should not forget the team had nothing to do with it. In these moments they take their support away from the team and nobody else.”
It will be interesting to see if Liverpool follow through with their plan to participate in the European Super League in the coming months despite the kind of backlash they have received over the last couple of days.
UEFA have already warned that the Reds will be banned from the Champions League and FIFA will not allow the players competing in the European Super League to play for their nations in the World Cup or the Euros.
Meanwhile Liverpool midfielder James Milner also shared his thoughts on the European Super League and he revealed that he is not keen on the idea and he hopes the tournament does not happen.
He said: “I don’t like it and I don’t want it to happen.”
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool’s 2022/23 Premier League Fixtures Announced – Key Highlights
- Liverpool Transfer News – Sadio Mane leaning towards Bayern Munich move
- Liverpool vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool’s Road To FA Cup Final – Quadruple Quest On The Line At Wembley
- Liverpool Week Recap: Champions League Quarter-Final Success Sets FA Cup Action Nicely & Latest Transfer Updates
- Liverpool Transfer News: Possible Salah replacement, Origi out, Rice in?
- Liverpool April 2022 Preview: Fatigue the biggest enemy as Klopp’s men play eight times
- Liverpool vs Inter Milan: Preview – Prediction, line-ups, live streaming
- Andy Robertson Delivers Premier League Title Verdict Ahead of Liverpool clash against Norwich
- How Could Liverpool Line Up in Attack Against Leicester City?