Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has indicated that the Reds could be in for a difficult summer transfer window.
The Premier League side are likely to miss out on Champions League football and it will hurt their revenues considerably.
The Reds were already reeling from the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the absence of European football will make things difficult for them in the transfer market.
It will be interesting to see if the Reds can strengthen their squad properly this summer and return to challenging for titles next season.
Klopp said to Liverpool Echo: “Playing Champions League obviously is massive, especially from a financial point of view for the club. So it’s really important.
“If we cannot make that, then that’s not good. Definitely not.
“I don’t think it will change anything because the situation was difficult before and it is difficult after.
“Football is in a difficult situation. I don’t think it will change a lot.”
There is no doubt that Liverpool need to strengthen more than one area of their squad and Klopp will need significant backing during the summer transfer window.
Liverpool must look to sign a quality centre back, a central midfield replacement for Gini Wijnaldum, a striker and a winger. They cannot afford to go into the new season without adequate reinforcements if they want to win the title once again.
Liverpool owners FSG have been heavily criticised over the last few years for their lack of spending and it will be interesting to see whether they can fund these moves without the revenue of Champions League football this summer.
They were already accused of penny-pinching when the Reds were winning trophies and it seems unlikely that they will sanction a spending spree in this situation.
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool’s six games that could see them top the Premier League table in January
- Liverpool players in the international break
- Preview: Liverpool vs Everton – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Anfield is one of the Premier League’s most accessible stadiums
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?
- Liverpool new signing Alexis Mac Allister gets red card on Anfield debut against Bournemouth
- Liverpool in July: Four pre-season fixtures as Klopp aims for a huge comeback next season
- Mo Salah on target to reach 200+ goals for Liverpool next season
- Salah could break Thierry Henry’s record by scoring one goal in Liverpool’s next two games
- Preview: Liverpool vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-up