Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has indicated that the Reds could be in for a difficult summer transfer window.
The Premier League side are likely to miss out on Champions League football and it will hurt their revenues considerably.
The Reds were already reeling from the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the absence of European football will make things difficult for them in the transfer market.
It will be interesting to see if the Reds can strengthen their squad properly this summer and return to challenging for titles next season.
Klopp said to Liverpool Echo: “Playing Champions League obviously is massive, especially from a financial point of view for the club. So it’s really important.
“If we cannot make that, then that’s not good. Definitely not.
“I don’t think it will change anything because the situation was difficult before and it is difficult after.
“Football is in a difficult situation. I don’t think it will change a lot.”
There is no doubt that Liverpool need to strengthen more than one area of their squad and Klopp will need significant backing during the summer transfer window.
Liverpool must look to sign a quality centre back, a central midfield replacement for Gini Wijnaldum, a striker and a winger. They cannot afford to go into the new season without adequate reinforcements if they want to win the title once again.
Liverpool owners FSG have been heavily criticised over the last few years for their lack of spending and it will be interesting to see whether they can fund these moves without the revenue of Champions League football this summer.
They were already accused of penny-pinching when the Reds were winning trophies and it seems unlikely that they will sanction a spending spree in this situation.
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool’s 2021/2022 key fixtures and predictions
- Gini Wijnaldum vows to reveal the reasons behind Liverpool exit after the Euros
- Liverpool players that will feature in Euro 2020
- Liverpool have reportedly submitted a bid for Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Southampton in talks to sign Takumi Minamino permanently
- John Barnes urges Liverpool to sign Ousmane Dembele instead of Jadon Sancho
- Liverpool prepared to cash in on Marko Grujic
- Trent Alexander-Arnold ruled out of the Euros with a thigh injury
- Adrian closing in on a new deal with Liverpool
- Liverpool Transfer News: Five Major Transfers To Expect This Summer