Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Diogo Jota is still a few weeks away from training with the first team.
The Portuguese international is still wearing a brace on his injury and the Liverpool manager claims that the injury was not a little knock and it will take time to heal.
Speaking at the press conference ahead of the Aston Villa game, Klopp said: “It will still take time. He is still wearing the brace, which means he is still a few weeks away from team training.”
The Premier League champions have missed the 24-year-old ever since his injury at the start of December after the game against Midtjylland.
The Portuguese international has proven to be a quality signing for the Reds and he has scored nine goals for them in all competitions.
The Reds have failed to breakdown teams like West Bromwich Albion, Newcastle United, Fulham and Southampton in the recent weeks and someone like Jota could have made a significant impact.
The likes of Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah are not at their best right now and it remains to be seen how Klopp can get his attackers firing on all cylinders once again.
The Liverpool manager also provided an update on the injured centre back Joel Matip.
Klopp claims that Matip is recovering in a good way but it is impossible to determine whether he will be fit for the Manchester United game or the game after that.
He said (via The Athletic’s James Pearce): “We will try. He’s in a good way but whether it will be United or a few days later I don’t know yet.”
Here is how the Liverpool fans have reacted to the Jota update.
Pointless stupid game in Denmark costs us at least 4 points from last 2 matches
— ondrejsup🇨🇿 (@ondrejsup) January 7, 2021
So the 4 to 6 weeks diagnosis was yet another lie from the club.. Klopp played a blinder in that dead rubber.
— **CAPTAIN MOUSTACHE AND HIS MAGIC FLUTE (@MoustacheHis) January 7, 2021
Even more annoying that he and many other first teamers played in that dead rubber of a game.
— Stop it spinning, I want to get off!🌍 (@Balance21718284) January 7, 2021
Self inflicted: Jota. His absence has resulted in 7 dropped pts in the last 3 matches. Not scheduling.
— The Nordicist (@Alovesupreme9) January 7, 2021
Perhaps if hadn’t played him in a meaningless game. Why he did that I’ll never know.
— Let’s Talk About 6 (@Machtig_Maus) January 7, 2021
Its his fault.
— Bobbysteeth85 (@bobbysteeth85) January 7, 2021
Worth playing him in a dead rubber then wasn’t it…
— Khurram Iftikhar (@K_Ifti) January 7, 2021
Latest Liverpool News
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?
- Liverpool new signing Alexis Mac Allister gets red card on Anfield debut against Bournemouth
- Liverpool in July: Four pre-season fixtures as Klopp aims for a huge comeback next season
- Mo Salah on target to reach 200+ goals for Liverpool next season
- Salah could break Thierry Henry’s record by scoring one goal in Liverpool’s next two games
- Preview: Liverpool vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-up
- Liverpool in May: Can Klopp’s team get 15 points to lay down a marker for next season?
- Preview: Leeds United vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Three Players Liverpool Must Sign After Jude Bellingham Blow
- Liverpool in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures