Liverpool have been handed a major injury boost for the next season.
Defender Virgil van Dijk has revealed that he will not be available for Netherlands during this summer’s European Championship.
The centre back was ruled out for the season after picking up a horror injury against Everton at the start of the Premier League season this year.
Van Dijk has revealed that he will continue his recovery with the club this summer so that his long-term fitness is not compromised. The Dutch international will now focus on the next season with Liverpool and then the World Cup with his country next year.
There were rumours that Holland could bring him into the international fold for the Euros and the Liverpool fans will be glad that those speculations have now been put to bed.
Van Dijk is a hugely important player for Liverpool and his proper recovery will be an utmost priority for the Reds.
Forcing him back into action risks the chance of recurring injuries and therefore the decision from the player is ideal for his long-term well-being.
Liverpool have missed Van Dijk massively this season and they will be hoping that he can return to action at the start of the next season and guide them to trophies once again.
Jurgen Klopp reacted the decision, saying: “With Virgil, it’s one of the most serious injuries you can get. I don’t know exactly how it came up that he has a chance for the Euros because the injury he had, people say it can take 11 months. It happened in October, that would mean September.
“We all hope, because it’s going really well, and we are all individuals and react differently in specific moments – the plan for us is that he can start the pre-season with us, but even that is not sure.
“So the Euros were just absolutely in the wrong moment, but the good news then for Holland as well is when he will be fit – because we will not force it, because we cannot force it – he will be then 100 per cent fit when he’s coming back.
“The next big tournament for Holland is waiting, they can then qualify for the World Cup in Qatar and everything will be fine. But we all have to be patient and for a player, of course, the start of rehab with these injuries is really tough, I cannot recommend that. It’s really tough: pain like crazy, you don’t sleep, you’re worrying, all these kind of things.
“When you overcome that, then you make steps, of course, because we do really good stuff with the boys in rehab and medicine meanwhile is really able to deliver a lot of good things, which makes life easier. You make big steps and you get more positive.
“I never wanted to cut the Euros off but I always knew, with normal measurement [and] with common sense, there is no chance. Now finally it is announced and that takes pressure off Virgil, which is important. Now he can completely focus on the right things in the right moment and then hopefully he can start soon with us again.”
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool’s 2022/23 Premier League Fixtures Announced – Key Highlights
- Liverpool Transfer News – Sadio Mane leaning towards Bayern Munich move
- Liverpool vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool’s Road To FA Cup Final – Quadruple Quest On The Line At Wembley
- Liverpool Week Recap: Champions League Quarter-Final Success Sets FA Cup Action Nicely & Latest Transfer Updates
- Liverpool Transfer News: Possible Salah replacement, Origi out, Rice in?
- Liverpool April 2022 Preview: Fatigue the biggest enemy as Klopp’s men play eight times
- Liverpool vs Inter Milan: Preview – Prediction, line-ups, live streaming
- Andy Robertson Delivers Premier League Title Verdict Ahead of Liverpool clash against Norwich
- How Could Liverpool Line Up in Attack Against Leicester City?