Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has hinted that Japanese international Takumi Minamino is an important player and he has a future at Anfield.
The 26-year-old attacker was loaned out to Southampton during the January transfer window and he has done reasonably well for the South Coast club.
It will be interesting to see if he can come back in the summer and force his way into Klopp’s first team plans next year.
The Japanese attacker is a versatile player who can play anywhere across the attacking midfield and even as the false name. He has the technical ability to succeed in the Premier League but he will have to work on his physicality.
Minamino was signed after his impressive display against Liverpool in the Champions League but the player has struggled to adapt to the intensity and the physicality of the Premier League so far.
The loan spell with Southampton will have been a vital learning curve for the player and it remains to be seen whether he is prepared to stake his claim in the Liverpool starting lineup now.
Speaking to the media before the Southampton clash, Jurgen Klopp said (via Goal): “He’s done really well there and this is no surprise.
“When we allowed him to go in January it was a tough call to make because he is an important player for us and will be again in the future, no doubt.
“But opportunities at that time had been short with us and therefore going to play somewhere else made sense for him and us.
“Southampton was perfect because of how Ralph plays and what he demands from his players.”
Latest Liverpool News
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?
- Liverpool new signing Alexis Mac Allister gets red card on Anfield debut against Bournemouth
- Liverpool in July: Four pre-season fixtures as Klopp aims for a huge comeback next season
- Mo Salah on target to reach 200+ goals for Liverpool next season
- Salah could break Thierry Henry’s record by scoring one goal in Liverpool’s next two games
- Preview: Liverpool vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-up
- Liverpool in May: Can Klopp’s team get 15 points to lay down a marker for next season?
- Preview: Leeds United vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Three Players Liverpool Must Sign After Jude Bellingham Blow
- Liverpool in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures