Liverpool and Manchester United are keen on signing Fiorentina defender Nikola Milenkovic.
According to Max Bielefeld from Sky Sports, the two Premier League clubs have recently been in touch with the player’s agents regarding a summer move.
The Reds are in desperate need of defensive reinforcements at the end of the season and the 23-year-old could prove to be a quality addition.
The Serbian has proven his quality in Serie A and he seems ready to make a move to the Premier League now.
Apparently, Borussia Dortmund are also keen on the Serbian and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.
The defender is valued at £25.2 million (as per transfermarkt) and has a contract with the Italian club until the summer of 2022.
Sky sources: Dortmund is interested in center back Nikola Milenkovic. First talks have been held with his agents and @acffiorentina. Liverpool and Man United have recently been in touch too #TransferUpdate @Sky_Marc pic.twitter.com/mZFccSEhjP
— Max Bielefeld (@Sky_MaxB) February 22, 2021
SL View: Ideal long-term investment
The likes of Joe Gomez and Joel Matip are unreliable because of their injury issues and Jurgen Klopp must look to invest in a quality centre-back before the start of the new season.
Milenkovic is quite young and has the potential to develop into a top-quality centre-back in future. Working with Klopp could help him fulfil his potential.
A fee of around £25.2m could prove to be a reasonable investment for the Reds. Milenkovic has the quality to justify that outlay over the coming seasons.
He can play in a variety of positions across the backline and his versatility could prove to be very useful to Liverpool.
Meanwhile, Manchester United need a quality centre-back after the inconsistent performances from the likes of Harry Maguire this season.
Milenkovic would not only add depth and quality to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s defensive unit, he would also push the current starters to work harder and improve.
Milenkovic is strong in the air and also quite useful for attacking set-pieces. He has two goals and an assist to his name this season.
Latest Liverpool News
- Gini Wijnaldum vows to reveal the reasons behind Liverpool exit after the Euros
- Liverpool players that will feature in Euro 2020
- Liverpool have reportedly submitted a bid for Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Southampton in talks to sign Takumi Minamino permanently
- John Barnes urges Liverpool to sign Ousmane Dembele instead of Jadon Sancho
- Liverpool prepared to cash in on Marko Grujic
- Trent Alexander-Arnold ruled out of the Euros with a thigh injury
- Adrian closing in on a new deal with Liverpool
- Liverpool Transfer News: Five Major Transfers To Expect This Summer
- Liverpool preparing for a massive clear-out this summer