Liverpool have made contact with Raphael Varane’s representatives if recent reports are to be believed.
The Frenchman will be out of contract in the summer of 2022 and Real Madrid have not agreed an extension with him yet.
The Spanish club are thought to be under financial strain because of the coronavirus pandemic and they may cash in on some of their players at the end of the season.
According to Diario Gol, Liverpool are looking at the French international because they have serious doubts about Virgil van Dijk’s recovery.
Apparently, the Premier League club are not sure whether the Dutchman will be able to recapture his best form following the knee injury and they are looking to bring in another top-class centre half.
Apparently, the player has also offers from Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United.
SL View: Ideal partner for Van Dijk?
Varane has been one of the best defenders in the world in recent years and there is no doubt that the former World Cup winner would be a quality addition to Jurgen Klopp’s back four.
The Frenchman is only 27 and he has his best years ahead of him. He shouldn’t cost too much because of his contract situation.
Varane has the aerial prowess, technical ability and the pace to operate in Liverpool’s high-line and he should be able to make an immediate impact if he moves to Anfield.
Even if Van Dijk manages to regain his best form, Varane could partner him at the back. The likes of Joe Gomez and Joel Matip are injury prone and the Reds could use someone more reliable in terms of availability.
Latest Liverpool News
- FA Cup: Liverpool predicted line-up vs Arsenal
- Liverpool’s six games that could see them top the Premier League table in January
- Liverpool players in the international break
- Preview: Liverpool vs Everton – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Anfield is one of the Premier League’s most accessible stadiums
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?
- Liverpool new signing Alexis Mac Allister gets red card on Anfield debut against Bournemouth
- Liverpool in July: Four pre-season fixtures as Klopp aims for a huge comeback next season
- Mo Salah on target to reach 200+ goals for Liverpool next season
- Salah could break Thierry Henry’s record by scoring one goal in Liverpool’s next two games