Liverpool are going through an injury crisis at the back of the season and Brazilian midfielder Fabinho was ruled out of last night’s game with a muscle injury.
The 27-year-old defensive midfielder has been operating as a centre-back ever since the injuries to Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez.
Fabinho has been one of the best defenders at the club this season and his absence could be a major setback for Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool.
The Liverpool manager has confirmed that it is a minor issue and it remains to be seen whether the Brazilian can return to action in the next game.
Klopp on Fabinho: “It was nothing really. He just felt something so we had to take him out. It wasn’t in a challenge or anything.” #LFC
— James Pearce (@JamesPearceLFC) January 28, 2021
The Reds are already without their two first choice centre backs, with Joel Matip picking up a serious ankle ligament injury last night against Tottenham.
It is imperative that Fabinho returns to action as soon as possible or it could derail Liverpool’s season.
The Reds are now fielding central midfielders as makeshift centre-backs and manager Jurgen Klopp will be hoping that the owners are willing to back him in the market before the window closes.
The victory over Tottenham took Liverpool to within four points of league leaders Manchester City, leaving the Reds with a lot to play for this season.
They will need some luck with injuries in order to end the campaign on a high.
Here is how some Liverpool fans reacted to the Fabinho injury blow on Twitter.
So will be out for 4-6 weeks then, seem the standard time for a Liverpool nothing injury
— John Lewis (@Lewie75) January 28, 2021
Nothing injury that keeps him out for 6 weeks
— Sem (@SemMutalindwa) January 28, 2021
If it’s nothing he’d be playing.
— davidratcliffe (@beechwoodred) January 28, 2021
Another one bites the dust!
— David O’Donoghue (@DonoghueODavid) January 28, 2021
Well that’s him done for the next four weeks.
— Jaycee (@jaycee0202) January 28, 2021
See him next season then
— Jimmy Corkhill’s Mate* (@p_dan) January 28, 2021
That doesn’t sound good
— Sean (@_LFCx19_x6) January 28, 2021
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool’s 2021/2022 key fixtures and predictions
- Gini Wijnaldum vows to reveal the reasons behind Liverpool exit after the Euros
- Liverpool players that will feature in Euro 2020
- Liverpool have reportedly submitted a bid for Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Southampton in talks to sign Takumi Minamino permanently
- John Barnes urges Liverpool to sign Ousmane Dembele instead of Jadon Sancho
- Liverpool prepared to cash in on Marko Grujic
- Trent Alexander-Arnold ruled out of the Euros with a thigh injury
- Adrian closing in on a new deal with Liverpool
- Liverpool Transfer News: Five Major Transfers To Expect This Summer