Liverpool are thought to be interested in signing the Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.
According to Italian Journalist Fabio Santini, the Reds have offered around €75 million for the Senegalese defender.
“The club that is most serious about the Senegalese is Liverpool. The Reds have offered a figure between €70m-€75m, the sum that [Napoli owner Aurelio] De Laurentiis wants.”
Koulibaly has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League recently and it will be interesting to see if Liverpool manage to sign him. As per Santini, City, United and Paris Saint-Germain are keen on signing the Napoli centre back as well.
The Senegalese is one of the best defenders in the world and it is no surprise that the top teams are chasing him.
Liverpool have recently lost Virgil van Dijk to a long term injury and the Dutchman is expected to return to action next season. It is evident that they need to bring in a quality replacement and Koulibaly certainly fits the profile.
He has the quality and experience to improve Liverpool. The likes of Joe Gomez and Joel Matip are quality players as well but their injury history will be a cause for concern. Liverpool must look to add more depth to their defensive unit.
The report from Santini does not reveal whether the Reds are looking to bring the Napoli star in January.
But it would be fair to assume that Liverpool are eyeing a January transfer. Van Dijk is expected to return next season and they need a new defender immediately. Signing Koulibaly next season would make very little sense.
It will be interesting to see if Napoli are willing to sell their best defender midway through the season. That said, €75 million is a lot of money for a 29-year-old and the Italian side could be tempted to cash in.
They are unlikely to get a better offer for Koulibaly next summer.
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool Players at the 2022 World Cup
- Liverpool Predictions in October 2022: Can the Reds bounce back?
- Liverpool vs Ajax Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Liverpool’s final pre-season week: RB Salzburg, Man City & more
- Liverpool v Man Utd Pre-Season Friendly: Date, Kick-off Time & How to stream
- Fabrizio Romano offers insight into Darwin Nunez’s move to Liverpool
- Liverpool’s 2022/23 Premier League Fixtures Announced – Key Highlights
- Liverpool Transfer News – Sadio Mane leaning towards Bayern Munich move
- Liverpool vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool’s Road To FA Cup Final – Quadruple Quest On The Line At Wembley