Liverpool are interested in signing Sven Botman from Lille this month.
According to the transfer window podcast by Duncan Castles and Ian McGarry, the Reds have been in contact with the defender’s agent and they are expected to submit a bid this month.
The French outfit are apparently going through a financial crisis and they could look to cash in on their key players if there is a good offer on the table.
Liverpool need to sign a quality centre-back after injuries to Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez.
Joel Matip has been quite injury proven as well and Jurgen Klopp cannot rely on the Cameroon defender to remain fit every week.
The Liverpool manager has been reliant on midfielder Fabinho and academy prospects like Rhys Williams to fill in for the injured defenders in the recent months.
Botman is highly rated around Europe and he has a big future ahead of him. A move to Liverpool could be the ideal next step for the 20-year-old and working with a world-class manager like Klopp could help him improve.
The German manager has done well to develop defenders like Trent Alexander Arnold, Andrew Robertson and Joe Gomez during his time at Liverpool and he could have a similar impact on Sven Botman’s game.
It will be interesting to see if the two clubs can agree on a fee in the coming weeks.
Liverpool are firmly in the title race right now and a quality January signing like Botman could give them the boost they need to go on and retain their Premier League crown.
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool’s six games that could see them top the Premier League table in January
- Liverpool players in the international break
- Preview: Liverpool vs Everton – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Anfield is one of the Premier League’s most accessible stadiums
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?
- Liverpool new signing Alexis Mac Allister gets red card on Anfield debut against Bournemouth
- Liverpool in July: Four pre-season fixtures as Klopp aims for a huge comeback next season
- Mo Salah on target to reach 200+ goals for Liverpool next season
- Salah could break Thierry Henry’s record by scoring one goal in Liverpool’s next two games
- Preview: Liverpool vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-up