Liverpool have endured a disappointing 2022-23 season so far. They have been highly inconsistent and are currently sitting sixth in the Premier League table, having just 22 points from 14 matches.
Jurgen Klopp’s side ended Manchester City’s unbeaten run at Anfield last month, with Mohamed Salah delivering the decisive goal. However, the Merseyside outfit couldn’t build on that impressive victory as they subsequently lost to Nottingham Forest and Leeds United. Injuries to some of their key players have played their part but several Reds stars have also been disappointing with their performances.
Liverpool stars at the World Cup
Seven Liverpool players will be representing their respective nations at the 2022 World Cup. This is surprisingly low for a team who are widely regarded among the best in the world. League rivals Manchester United will have 14 of their players at the World Cup and City will have a whopping 16. While Chelsea will also be heavily represented, with 12 of their players called-up for international duty.
Egypt didn’t qualify for the prestigious tournament, thus ruling out star forward Mo Salah. Scotland also failed to make it there and so Andrew Robertson will also not be in action.
Meanwhile, Colombia will not be participating in the tournament, thus Luis Diaz wouldn’t have been involved even if he was fit. Diogo Jota and Arthur are injured while Joe Gomez, Thiago and Roberto Firmino were all not picked in the 2022 World Cup squads by England, Spain and Brazil respectively.
However, Trent Alexander-Arnold managed to make it into Gareth Southgate’s squad, despite enduring a bad form this season. Alisson and Fabinho will make up the Brazilian core. While Ibrahima Konate, Darwin Nunez, and Virgil van Dijk were all named in the squads for France, Uruguay and Netherlands respectively.
- Alisson (Brazil)
- Trent Alexander-Arnold (England)
- Virgil van Dijk (Netherlands)
- Ibrahima Konate (France)
- Jordan Henderson (England)
- Darwin Nunez (Uruguay)
- Fabinho (Brazil)
Latest Liverpool News
- What are Liverpool’s chances of winning the Europa League?
- Liverpool new signing Alexis Mac Allister gets red card on Anfield debut against Bournemouth
- Liverpool in July: Four pre-season fixtures as Klopp aims for a huge comeback next season
- Mo Salah on target to reach 200+ goals for Liverpool next season
- Salah could break Thierry Henry’s record by scoring one goal in Liverpool’s next two games
- Preview: Liverpool vs Aston Villa – prediction, team news, line-up
- Liverpool in May: Can Klopp’s team get 15 points to lay down a marker for next season?
- Preview: Leeds United vs Liverpool – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Three Players Liverpool Must Sign After Jude Bellingham Blow
- Liverpool in April: Next seven Premier League fixtures