Liverpool picked up a comfortable 3-0 win over Burnley in the Premier League and defender Nat Phillips produced a quality performance for the away side.
The 23 year old centre back was not only assured at the back, he managed to chip in with a quality goal as well.
Furthermore, Phillips was involved in a goal-line clearance during the Burnley game and he revealed in an interview that he would prefer to come up with goal-line clearances in future rather than scoring a goal himself.
He said to the club’s website: “Clearance off the line – every time! It’s my job to stop the ball from going in the net, to stop goals. If I can get on the scoresheet, happy days, a bit of a bonus. But I’d much rather have a clean sheet.”
It is hardly surprising that Phillips wants to contribute defensively as opposed to scoring goals.
The defender has been excellent since his introduction to the Liverpool starting lineup and it will be interesting to see if he can continue to perform at a high level until the end of the season.
The Reds have lost all of their key defenders due to injuries and they have had to rely on young defenders like Phillips and Rhys Williams this season.
Both defenders have been quite impressive this season and they deserve a lot of credit for the way they have stepped during a crisis.
Latest Liverpool News
- Gini Wijnaldum vows to reveal the reasons behind Liverpool exit after the Euros
- Liverpool players that will feature in Euro 2020
- Liverpool have reportedly submitted a bid for Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Southampton in talks to sign Takumi Minamino permanently
- John Barnes urges Liverpool to sign Ousmane Dembele instead of Jadon Sancho
- Liverpool prepared to cash in on Marko Grujic
- Trent Alexander-Arnold ruled out of the Euros with a thigh injury
- Adrian closing in on a new deal with Liverpool
- Liverpool Transfer News: Five Major Transfers To Expect This Summer
- Liverpool preparing for a massive clear-out this summer