Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino has opened up about the club’s struggles this season.
The Reds have had a mediocre season and their title defence has been hurt by an unprecedented injury crisis at the back.
Liverpool have lost several of their key defenders to season ending injuries and it has damaged the balance of the side.
The Premier League giants are in danger of missing out on Champions League qualification next season and it could be a hammer blow to their transfer ambitions and financial projections.
Furthermore, Firmino himself has been struggling to score regularly for over a year now.
The Brazilian has revealed that he enjoys creating goals for his teammates but he would prefer to score more goals himself.
Regarding the Reds’ struggles this season, Firmino said (via Liverpool Echo): “I don’t really know the answer, perhaps it’s God’s will. Maybe there’s a collective factor with the team as well. It’s a difficult period, but I have faith and am sure that things will improve.
“In general it’s been a difficult season for our team. We’re coming from a successful season winning the league title and other trophies like the Club World Cup before that.
“We have to continue fighting and getting better every day – improve defensively, tactically and most of all in attack. Anything can happen in football, we still have a chance.
“We’re going to fight until the end to be in the top four and qualify for the Champions League.
“We’ll come back better and work harder so that we can repeat our success and be Premier League champions again next season. We’ll work hard to be champions once more.
“We have battles ahead and objectives to meet – we have to fight to take us as far as possible.”
On creating and scoring goals, the Brazilian added: “They’re both great, but I prefer scoring goals. It’s a unique and special moment with the fans where you celebrate the goal, let it all out and feel grateful as well. The feeling of scoring a goal is something special.”
The Reds will have to look into upgrading the Brazilian this summer and it will be interesting to see if Jurgen Klopp club decides to sign a quality striker.
There is no doubt that Firmino can be a world-class player on his day but he has been out of form for over a year now and it would be fair to assume that the Brazilian international is on the decline and he might not be able to recapture his peak form again.
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool’s 2022/23 Premier League Fixtures Announced – Key Highlights
- Liverpool Transfer News – Sadio Mane leaning towards Bayern Munich move
- Liverpool vs Real Madrid Preview – Prediction, team news, line-ups
- Liverpool’s Road To FA Cup Final – Quadruple Quest On The Line At Wembley
- Liverpool Week Recap: Champions League Quarter-Final Success Sets FA Cup Action Nicely & Latest Transfer Updates
- Liverpool Transfer News: Possible Salah replacement, Origi out, Rice in?
- Liverpool April 2022 Preview: Fatigue the biggest enemy as Klopp’s men play eight times
- Liverpool vs Inter Milan: Preview – Prediction, line-ups, live streaming
- Andy Robertson Delivers Premier League Title Verdict Ahead of Liverpool clash against Norwich
- How Could Liverpool Line Up in Attack Against Leicester City?