Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold was recently left out of the England squad for the upcoming international games.
Former Liverpool player and current Rangers manager Steven Gerrard has now issued his support to the 22-year-old after his omission.
Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate left Alexander-Arnold out of the England squad because of his dip in form this season.
According to Gerrard, the defender needs more support from Southgate, and he has disagreed with the England manager’s decision.
He said (via Mirror): “One thing’s for sure, I’ll always be there for Trent. It goes without saying, any second of the day.
“I wouldn’t make the first move. He’s a man himself. He knows where he’s at. Gareth Southgate makes the decisions there.
“I don’t necessarily agree with that decision. But I’m not the England manager. I think Trent is the best English right back in the country. One thing I’ve learned from being a player is you can’t always be 10-out-of-10.
“When you do come off, you need that support, love and attention from your manager more than anyone else. So, I was surprised by the decision, but that’s my opinion and my opinion is not important in this.
“Trent is a world-class right-back – he’s the best right-back the country has got. We’ve got other fantastic right-backs by the way.
“But in terms of the loaded side of the question, I’m there for Trent and any of the other Liverpool players at any moment of the day.”
Alexander-Arnold is not the only Liverpool player struggling this season, and the Reds have been mediocre in the Premier League.
Liverpool are currently seventh in the Premier League, five points adrift of fourth place.
Manager Jurgen Klopp will be keen to guide his side to a top-four finish from this position and Alexander-Arnold is expected to play a key role in their bid.
Latest Liverpool News
- Liverpool’s 2021/2022 key fixtures and predictions
- Gini Wijnaldum vows to reveal the reasons behind Liverpool exit after the Euros
- Liverpool players that will feature in Euro 2020
- Liverpool have reportedly submitted a bid for Lorenzo Pellegrini
- Southampton in talks to sign Takumi Minamino permanently
- John Barnes urges Liverpool to sign Ousmane Dembele instead of Jadon Sancho
- Liverpool prepared to cash in on Marko Grujic
- Trent Alexander-Arnold ruled out of the Euros with a thigh injury
- Adrian closing in on a new deal with Liverpool
- Liverpool Transfer News: Five Major Transfers To Expect This Summer